EXTENSION OF WATER AND SANITARY SEWER MAINS WITHIN AND OUTSIDE THE CORPORATE LIMITS
SECTION 1. APPLICATION FOR EXTENSIONS WITHIN THE CORPORATE LIMITS.
(1) From and after the effective date of this ordinance, any property owner, owners, or developer desiring to have water or sanitary sewer services extended to and along any public street other public way where no water or sanitary sewer main exists, such property owner, owners, or developer shall apply in writing to the Superintendent of Utilities requesting such water and/or sewer service.
(2) When application is made for water and sewer extensions to serve an area or development project that is planned as a part of a larger project all of which is not to be developed at the time application is made, the owner, owners, or developer shall submit plans in sufficient detail to the Superintendent of Utilities in order that adequate size facilities can be determined and plans for the orderly extension of services can be made.
SECTION 2. EXTENSION REQUIREMENTS WITHIN THE CORPORATE LIMITS.
(1) The extension of either water or sanitary sewer service to properties not previously served and for which application is required by Section 1 of this ordinance shall be made only in accordance with the requirements of this ordinance.
(2) The minimum distance for any extension of a water main or sewer main shall be determined by the Town. In general, the minimum distance for extensions shall be one platted block, or in the case of water mains from main line valve to valve and in the case of sanitary sewer extensions from man-hole to man-hole.
(3) The size of water mains and sanitary sewer mains to be installed and the other required system facilities shall be determined by the Superintendent of Utilities and approved by the Board of Commissioners. No application shall be approved and no connection to the Town systems shall be authorized unless the size of facilities and other requirements of the Town are complied with.
SECTION 3. FINANCING EXTENSIONS WITHIN CORPORATE LIMITS.
(1) When an application for water or sewerage extension or both is received, the Superintendent of Utilities or other person designated by the Board of Commissioners shall estimate the cost of the project and present the application for extension along with the estimated cost to the Board of Commissioners. If the application is approved by the Board of Commissioners and subject to the availability of funds, the Town will install or have installed by contract under its supervision the facilities and extensions which have been approved.
(2) When a water or sanitary sewer extension project has been completed and the total cost is determined, seventy-five percent (75%) of the total cost of such water or sanitary sewer extension, or both, shall be assessed against the property owners whose property abuts upon such extension at an equal rate per front foot in accordance with and under the authority granted to the Town by G.S. 160-241 through G.S. 160-248. Twenty-five percent (25%) of the total cost of water or sanitary sewer extensions or both shall be borne by the Town from funds appropriated for such purposes, and the Town shall bear all costs of such extensions incurred at street intersections.
(3) Any property owner or owners shall have the opportunity to pay his or their proportionate share of the cost of such extensions after the assessment roll is confirmed rather than paying his or their share in equal annual installments with interest as required by the statute.
(4) When the Town of Denton determines that it is advisable to install larger size facilities than are necessary to serve the property requesting such extension, the difference in the cost of the larger size facilities over and above the cost of the facilities required to serve the property requesting such extension shall be paid for by the Town of Denton.
(5) Fire hydrants, pumping stations, outfall lines and other facilities installed for general public use shall be paid for by the Town of Denton.
(6) Nothing in this ordinance shall prevent the Board of Commissioners from extending water and/or sanitary sewer mains on their own motion when no application has been received for such extension and to assess the cost of such extensions in accordance with this ordinance when, in the opinion of the Board of Commissioners, the general public interest demands such extensions of service.
SECTION 4. EXTENSIONS OUTSIDE CORPORATE LIMITS.
(1) All applications for water and sewer extensions outside the corporate limits shall be made in the same manner as required for extensions inside the corporate limits in accordance with Section 1 of this ordinance.
(2) If an application is approved by the Town, the Town will not participate to any extent in the cost of such extensions and the owner, owners or developer shall be required to pay for the entire cost of all extensions. Provided, the Town may participate to the extent agreed upon by the Board of Commissioners in the cost of larger facilities required which are in excess of the cost of facilities required to serve the project. No reimbursement shall be made upon annexation and all water and sewer lines located outside the corporate limits shall become the property of the Town at the time such facilities are connected to the Town systems as provided for in Section 5 of this ordinance.
(3) In the event the property for which application has been made for water or sewer service is contiguous to the corporate limits and the owner or owners of such property agree to annexation and in the event such property is annexed to the Town of Denton, extensions may be made to such property and the cost thereof shared in accordance with the requirements of Section 3 of this ordinance.
SECTION 5. SPECIFICATIONS, OWNERSHIP. Any water mains or sanitary sewer mains extended under the provisions of this ordinance shall be installed and constructed in accordance with the approved plans, specifications and requirements of the Town of Denton. All facilities installed under the provisions of this ordinance whether within or outside the corporate limits shall become the sole property of the Town of Denton and under its jurisdiction and control for any and all purposes whatsoever at the time such facilities are connected to the Town systems. In addition, a deed to the Town for water or sewer facilities which are located outside the corporate limits, the cost of which is borne by individual property owners, shall be executed prior to the time any extensions provided for in this ordinance are connected to the Town systems.