Denton North Carolina
Former and merged names include:
Sycamore ~ sycamore was because of a large
grove of sycamore trees.Then they called that place finches cross roads.
In 1882 two young men J M
Daniel and BI Harrison decided that the immediate vicinity of the cross roads
would be a good location for a general store . According to land purchase
from Roby Morris , Daniel and Harrison erected a store building approximately
18 x 40 feet a building which long stood on the northeast boundary of where
the Hill Motor Co. did stand and now the Classic Restaurant . The building
stocked with groceries, dry goods and hardware. A larger stock than could not
be found at any other store in southern Davidson County with the exception of
Jackson Hill, and proceeded to do what was locally considered a profitable
business. In to the building the Post Office was moved and May 23, 1883 . BI
Harrison became the towns third postmaster. During his second year in office
mail service was daily, where prior to that it was brought down from
The founding of Denton NC
may be dated from the time the place acquired a post office, began to be
called Denton NC and ceased to be Finch's Cross Road. The General Assembly
passed a bill incorporating the town of Denton NC March 11 , 1907 . Town had
its first mayor in 1907 J.E. Varner with B.I. Harrison , Arthur E. Davis ,
J.M. Daniel , L.A. Newsom and Jesse C. Morris as town commissioners. Abel
Anderson was the town physician and John F. Carroll as the chief of police .
In 1905 the Glenn Anna was the start of the railroad from Thomasville to
Denton . This was what would start later the H.P.T.D . The rail road was to
bring growth to the town of Denton NC . In 1910 the local citizens of Denton
NC started the first bank . Denton NC began to flourish and with the railroad
making its way through out the country side. Denton NC became the cross tide
capital of the country. This gave jobs to many Denton NC residence through
out the years to come . But one important note about our town ,our founding
fathers . We would like to remember as we celebrate our centennial is J. M.
Daniel and B. I. Harrison without these men we might not be Denton NC .This
information furnished by Davidson Record and Dispatch articles in 1957 and
wrote by: Barbara Hogan 2006
Mayors of the Town of
Denton NC: JO Freeman-1907
Appointed. EA Moffitt April 11,1908 ~ EH Cranford Feb.6,1911 ~ J.O. Garner
May 15,1911 ~ WW Russell July 19,1913 [elected & resigned] ~ LA Smith
July 19,1913 ~ CH Surratt May 11,1916 ~ WJ Frank Oct.7, 1918 ~ TW Ingram May
3,1920 ~ WW Russell May 1,1922 [resigned] ~ LA Newsom July 6,1922 [elected to
fill Russell term] ~ AL Snider June 4,1923 ~ WA Johnson May 12,1924 ~ EE
Hardy June 7,1926 ~ Baxter Carter May 2,1928 ~ Howell Harrison May 7,1934 ~ C
Bisher May 2,1938 ~ CL Kearns May 6,1946 ~ Max Hill May 9,1950 ~ Robert
Johnson May 7, 1952 ~ Max Hill May 6,1954 ~ Wesley Morris May 9,1956 ~ Joe
Taylor May 7,1962 ~ Jerry Carlton May 20,1968 ~ Donald Morris Dec. 28,1971 ~
Rex Clover Dec.1, 1975 ~ C. Ray Kirkman Dec. 7, 1987 ~ Scott Morris Dec.1,
In 1926, an electric
power line was built to Denton NC.
In 1939, Denton water
supply tank of 100,000 gallons constructed and supplied by two eight-inch
diameter deep wells
1964 Crowder Construction
Company builds its first water treatment plant for Denton.
Mountain Vista Health
Park since 1980
Railroad came to Denton
NC in 1906. The High Point, Thomasville & Denton Railroad Co. operates
from High Point through Thomasville and Denton NC to a junction with the
Winston-Salem Southbound Railway at High Rock. The company, founded in 1923,
is owned by the Winston-Salem Southbound Railway, which is jointly owned by
CSX and Norfolk Southern. Commodities carried by the railroad are forest
products, paper products, chemicals, brick, coal, cement, and furniture.
Principal shippers are: Thomasville Forest Products of Shale Brick – a
division of Lowes Inc.; Carolina Container Corp. of High Point – manufacturer
of pulpboard; and Georgia Pacific of Denton – chemical manufacturer. The
HPT&D connects with Norfolk Southern as well as the Winston-Salem
Southbound. Miles of track: 34 - Employees: shared with WS-Southbound
Carloads: 3,900 per year – 332,000 tons - Industries served: 20 - Equipment:
CSX & NS leased locomotives.
The first trail through
the land where Denton NC now stands was almost certainly an Indian trail.
There was once an Indian mound, containing numerous relics, located near
where the Lowesfood Store now stands.